ABOUT WORMWOODS SCRUBS PONY CENTRE
Wormwood Scrubs Pony Centre (WSPC) is an inner-city community Riding for the Disabled (RDA) riding school for children and young people, many of whom have learning difficulties and physical disabilities. The Centre provides a safe environment for children and adults to flourish. WSPC is a registered charity, about to celebrate 35 years, and is a professional establishment with a traditional stable yard that homes 20 horses and ponies and 2 donkeys
OVERVIEW OF THE ROLE
The Board of Trustees are seeking a Yard Manager and Senior Coach, in a dual purpose role:
To oversee the WPSC stable yard, manage the grooms, equines and a steady stream of volunteers.
To deliver effective riding, equine therapy and classes in horse care and stable management to customers of the WSPC. The role reports into the CEO and will work closely with the CEO. The role will be responsible for the day-to-day operational management of the Yard.
The principal responsibilities of the role are:
● Recruit, motivate and develop the team of staff, volunteers and coaches, ensuring that they are focussed on achieving the Centre’s purpose.
● Act as a role model and mentor.
● Develop and implement staff and volunteer policies, working with the CEO, to ensure that the Centre discharges its legal obligations in respect of the employment of people and health and safety.
● Deliver excellent riding lessons to our customers and help them to develop and reach their potential.
● Be confident dealing with disabled and disadvantaged people and strive to meet their needs and be sensitive to their particular challenges.
COMMUNICATIONS AND EXTERNAL RELATIONSHIPS
● Contribute to the internal and external communications activity for the Centre
● Manage the social media activity on a daily basis and ensure the website is kept up to date and presents the Centre in a positive light.
● Represent the Centre externally and, alongside the CEO, build and strengthen relationships with key external stakeholders.
● Work with the CEO to develop a sustainable pipeline of income from riding, donations and grants.
● Work with the CEO to ensure that robust systems are in place in the areas of risk management and effective HR resources.
● Supervises the whole equine environment at the Centre including maintenance of the yard, field infrastructure, equipment and tack.
● Manages and trains all staff and volunteers including annual appraisals and training programmes.
● Develops and manages the timetable for riding for the Centre for both able bodied and RDA riders.
● Leads delivery of training in, and experience of, safeguarding procedures.
● Implements the highest standard of equine care and welfare and the implementation of animal welfare legislation and ensuring appropriate compliance measures.
● Manages and trains the equines and ensures that they have a suitable workload and exercise regime.
● Develop policies with the CEO in regard to the equines such as retirement/holidays/rotation.
KNOWLEDGE AND EXPERIENCE
● Proven experience of organising and delivery of lessons for all standards.
● RDA qualified coach
● Desirable: British Horse Society coaching level of BHSAI, BHSQ3 or BHSQ4
● Desirable: Accredited Professional Equine Coach
● Experience of maintaining the highest standard of equine care and welfare and the implementation of animal welfare legislation and ensuring appropriate compliance measures.
● Experience of supervising an equine environment, including managing and training staff and volunteers.
● Knowledge of the standards required to ensure maintenance of the yard, field infrastructure, equipment and tack.
● Experience of the purchase or loan of horses and the appropriate vetting processes.
● Experience of planning and co-ordinating multiple projects and activities.
● Practical experience of creating engaging content online and managing social media channels.
● Demonstrable track record in building and maintaining relationships, both internal and external, particularly empathising with diverse groups.
● Ability to motivate and inspire colleagues, volunteers and customers to contribute to the centre.
● Commitment to “Diversity, Equality and Inclusion.
● Excellent knowledge of Microsoft Office suite of programmes.
Location: West London, Wormwood Scrubs Pony Centre
Full-time: Weekend and evening work will be required
Contract type: Permanent
Salary: £30,000–£35,000 per annum, dependent on experience
Applying for the role WSPC welcomes applications from a wide range of applicants and is committed to operating as an equal opportunities’ organisation.
Please provide the following by email to:-firstname.lastname@example.org
A written statement setting out your equine history and qualifications, your management experience and what you would bring to the role.
Two references (to be taken up after interview)
Closing date for applications: 5pm Sunday 18 February 2024.
All applications will be acknowledged. We reserve the right to close the listing as soon as sufficient applicants have been received. Interviews will take place in March 2024.
Please note this role is subject to an Enhanced Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) check.